Re: [Xen-users] Xen Configuration File Understanding

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:05:36 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:08:17 +0000

Am Donnerstag, 20. Dezember 2012, 03:34:43 schrieb Patrick28:
> I created with lvm an logical value which is named test-01
> Now I want to install on this Logical Volume Centos6.3 from an ISO!
>
> First I don't know if it is possible to take in my Configuration this kernel
> ?
> kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
> builder = "hvm"
This is for booting your DomU ("guest") full virtualized - this is not (!!!)
very efficient for Linux systems. You should take a look at Xen PV
(paravirtualization). You have some hint's to know in PV mode when setting up
your guest - but this is it more then worth....

In PV you may use your "own" (means in guest) kernel if you boot with pygrub.

> Is this correct or did i need to take another one and which ?
>
> My Second question ist the disk-parameter. Now it looks so.
> disk =
> ['tap:aio:/dev/vg/test-01,sda,w','tap:aio:/mnt/disc/Centos6.3.iso,hdc:cdrom,
> r']

Here is (just) a sample config with pygrub and lvm for a Gentoo Linux PV guest:

--- snip ---
memory=2048

name="myhost"

disk=[
        'phy:/dev/vgxen/myhost_root,xvda1,w',
        'phy:/dev/vgxen/myhost_swap,xvda2,w',
]

vif = [ 'mac=00:0C:6E:50:52:11, bridge=xenbr0, vifname=myhost' ]

vcpus=3
cpu="9,10,11"

bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"

extra = "console=hvc0 xencons=tty"

on_poweroff = "restart"
on_reboot = "restart"
on_crash = "restart"
--- snap ---

You can configure your kernel within your guest as usual with grub2 in i.e.
/boot/grub/menu.lst (kernel and grub config within your guest). You did not
need any grub installed in your guest - just make a file /boot/grub/menu.lst
and fill it "as usual":

--- snip ---
default         0
timeout         3

title           Debian GNU/Linux 6.0
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 root=/dev/xvda1 ro
console=hvc0 xencons=tty
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
--- snap ---

In inittab you should change the 12345 line from

        1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

into:

        1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 hvc0

as hvc0 is your ("serial") console from xen Dom0.

Your Guests /etc/fstab should look something like

--- snip ---
/dev/xvda1   /      ext4   auto         1 1
/dev/xvda2   none   swap   sw           0 0
... snap ---

good luck!...

hth
cheers,