Re: [Xen-users] where does qemu fit in?

On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 17:35 +0000, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Wei Liu wrote:
> > I happen to know a Sheepdog committer. I can ask him about the
> > portability of Sheepdog. Probably we can make this a GSoC project this
> > year? Wei.
>
> Funny thing, this seems to have been on the GSoC 2012 list of ideas for
> Sheepdog
> (https://github.com/collie/sheepdog/wiki/Google-summer-of-code-2012):
>
> _____
>
> Create sheepdog client library
>
>   * *Brief explanation:* The goal of this task is to implement
>     libsheepdog, and enables other clients than QEMU to use Sheepdog
>     block-level volumes.
>   * *Expected results:* libsheepdog provides
>
> ---------

Unfortunately they didn't make it to GSoC 2012...

Judging from the description above, it looks like that sheepdog will be
QEMU independent in the future? But such project is not Xen dependent
either, so it is hard to put it under Xen umbrella.

The best bet now is to have libsheepdog ready and we do some plumber job
to make it Xen available (but I don't know how much work ahead). This
can be a potential GSoC project for Xen.

Wei.