Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 log and disk space management

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 14:01:11 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 20:02:07 +0000

Hello.

El 03/01/13 09:23, John Buchanan escribió:
We're running a handful of XCP 1.1 pools and have run in to situations
wherein the local filesystem on the Dom0 control domain hits 100%
capacity due to error logging in /var/log (daemon.log, messages,
xensource.log, etc) thereby taking that host offline.  Twice recently
we've run in to this, on two different pools, first due to the primary
SR hitting capacity and secondly when memory was exhausted on the host.
As a long term solution, I may suggest 2 ways to deal with excessive logging:

1. Adjust logrotate configuration. By default, it rotates the log files and deletes the oldest ones. Make it keep the logs for less time.

2. Store your logs on a remote server instead of local filesystem. XCP uses sysklogd, apparently it can send logs to a remote server in a natural way:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/log-all-logs-to-central-linux-unix-loghost.html

My question is, how do others manage logs and such under these
circumstances on Dom0?  The first obvious answer seems to be tweaking
/etc/logrotate.conf, but I was wondering if there are better methods
seeing as this is XCP and not a more conventional Xen on Linux install.

Both approaches i mentioned above has proven useful for me, individually and combined. I have not used this on XCP server (yet), but it works on a regular Debian with rsyslogd.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov