Re: [Xen-users] Need A 30,000 Foot View Of XCP

I'd say, as others have advised, to start with XenCenter.  Yes, it is free, and
you can connect to XCP with it.

I use OpenXenManager sometimes, as well, but it is incomplete, and,
unfortunately, development on it has ceased, so I'm forced back to XenCenter
much of the time.  A shame - I have a hard time understanding why both VMware
and Citrix force you to use Windows-based management tools.  Oh well.

Openstack might be good down the road, but if you're not familiar with XCP,
then I wouldn't start there.  Openstack is very complex to set up, with lots of
manual steps to get it running.  I've worked with Xen, XenServer, and XCP in
various forms for 4-5 years, now, and I still haven't managed to get Openstack
up and running (part of that is time constraint).  So, start with XenCenter,
once you're comfortable with XCP + XenCenter, you can move on to Openstack.

-Nick

>>> On 2013/01/06 at 10:16, Jim Hall <hallcarrjames@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My Boss wants to use XCP as we are a startup and trying to save money.  I am
> not sure he fully understands how XCP works.  I am familiar with VmWare but
> not this.  I went to the xen.org site and downloaded XCP Cloud  (he wants
> cloud).  I successfully installed this on a server.  I used the entire
> disk(not sure if that is correct).  My next issue is how do I connect.  I
> thought I was supposed to use Xencenter but that may not be free..  My boss
> told me to use Openstack and OpenManager.  I believe Openmanager is the way
> to connect to the server but works on Linux(which we do not have...Yet)  I
> see you can make it work on windows but probably not a good idea.   Then the
> Openstack I am just sort of lost.   Can someone give me a overview of what I
> need to do.  Our goal it to have a couple of VM's running windows server and
> Microsoft Lync Server.
> Guys I have been doing IT stuff for a long time but this is new to me any
> guidance I would be grateful for.

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.