[Xen-users] Xen, PAT and MTRR (Was Re: Xen and nvidia)

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Howell Tam <pigeon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 09:35:54 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 22:37:40 +0000

Hi,

> Try adding nopat as a cmdline argument to your dom0 kernel.
>
> here's my grub entries as an example.
>
> kernel /xen-4.1.4.gz dom0_mem=2048M dom0_max_vcpus=2 dom0_vcpus_pin
> module /lfskernel-3.7.1 ro root=/dev/md0 nopat

        Thanks.

        I ended up going back to trying Xen 4.2 and I can get the nvidia
drivers to work in Dom0, even without nopat, but with very bad 3d performance.
And sometimes it still get the Xorg 100% cpu problem, and I can see
the nvidia driver printing out a few Xid messages.

    After a bit of research i realized i'm hitting the PAT problem, which has
been mentioned for quite a while. This affects all display cards, not just
nvidia it seems.

   From what i understand now, PAT has been disabled now in the kernel by
Konrad:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-02/msg01634.html

    which he had an attempt to fix the underlying problem:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/10/228

    Looking at the latest stable 3.7.2 kernel, PAT is still disabled in xen.

    Does anyone know the status of this? (Should I ask on xen-devel or Konrad?)

    And while I'm at this, what about the MTRR support in Xen?

    Thanks.

Regards,
Howell.