Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.2 - Security on Live Migration

Hello Ian,

Thx again for your information, i'm quite unfamiliar with that and i'm
still can't get it.

On 02/27/2013 11:40 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 09:29 +0000, Katerina Mparmpopoulou wrote:

>> If i want to place my own ssl key and my own certificate when
>> i'm migrating a vm in another physical machine, how should I use
>> the command??
>
> You need to pass a command which will connect its stdin/stdout over
> the communication channel of your choice to the stdin/stdout of
> "xl migrate-receive" running on the target host. How you setup
> that communication channel and arrange for that process on the
> remote machine is up to you to arrange in that command.

you mean that everything need to be done in:

 xl migrate -s <sshcommand> <guest_vm> <target_machine>

where sshcommand is the stdin/stdout of another command?

> For example you could reasonably trivially build something out of
> netcat and ssh which did secure authentication and but insecure
> data transfer.
>
> If you want to do something with SSL certs then I expect you will
> wantto find an ssl capable netcat type thing, I think openssl has
> such mechanisms in it. Or you could write your own client/server
> pair, etc etc.

I have already created my client/server pairs, but i don't know in
which file to place/save them. Namely, xl migrate-receive command from
which file retrieves these keys? Where are the default pair (If there
is any)?

In previous version I could create client/server pairs and I used to
save them in etc/xen/xend-config.sxp, like this:

(xend-relocation-server-ssl-key-file   my_server.key)
(xend-relocation-server-ssl-cert-file  my_server.crt)

Now do I need to run the migrate command every time along with these
pair? For example like this?

$xl migrate -s /etc/ssh/keys/my_server.key /etc/ssh/keys/my_server.crt
<sshcommand> <guest_vm> <target_machine>