Re: [Xen-users] Peth0 missing

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 10:43:17 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 16:43:58 +0000

Hello.

El 04/03/13 05:27, pkchouhan escribió:
I have installed Xen 4.1.2-2 ubuntu2.6 through Synaptic Manager on
Ubuntu12.04.

I followed the steps from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen.
This tutorial does not mentions peth0 or network-bridge script. Maybe you are mixing instructions from different tutorials, that applies different and incompatible approaches?

However, I do not have a peth0, when I issue an "ifconfig -a".  Only eth0,
lo and xenbr0 are displayed.
This a confusing matter. Maybe this reference might clarify something:
http://www.thogan.com/site2/archives/13

The general recommendation is to stop using network-bridge script, and create the necessary bridge(s) using your OS native tools, just as your tutorial suggests. In case of Debian or Ubuntu, describe the bridge in /etc/network/interfaces file. Then the old naming ("eth0" for the bridge and "peth0" for the physical interface) looses the sense. Keeping the native descriptive names ("xenbr0" for the bridge and "eth0" for the physical interface) helps to reduce confusion.

In case you still wish, for some reason, to manage your networking configuration via Xen's tools, it seems like /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge script needs to be debugged. Make sure nobody else is messing with the networking configuration (like interfaces file) and try to call network-bridge manually. Check the file's content, it's heavily commented about the usage and syntax.

Greetings.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov