Re: [Xen-users] Imaging complete Xen installs

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 14:23:27 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 20:24:42 +0000

Hello.

El 08/03/13 12:34, Paul Stimpson escribió:
I'm helping to create an appliance which consists of an Ubuntu host, a
number of Ubuntu guests and a Windows server guest. We've been using
Clonezilla to image the machine but it is performing badly in terms of
image size and restore times.
Consider using partimage, at least for NTFS formatted devices. Since your storage volumes are heterogeneous, I would suggest making a separate image of each volume, this would allow the backup utility to figure out the FS type and make the corresponding optimizations.

Your restore script would need to partition the physical device, create the LVM structure, and then restore each image on it's place.

Can anyone please recommend a better backup program that is preferably
free software or a better way of using Clonezilla so I can get the
backup down to a more manageable size?
Can't think of any, that could handle well the mix of different type of FS, specially if they lay over LVM. A home-made wrapper that could handle each image separately does not seems to be too complex, unless you are looking for something "really abstract and flexible".

Don't forget to consider the cost of the storage media, needed to handle simple dd+gz dumps, against the cost of time and dedication to create the wrapper. I can't say which will come out a better option, but it's definitely something worth to evaluate.

Greetings.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov