Re: [Xen-users] Zen backup and failover

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM, jacek burghardt
<jaceksburghardt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What is the best open sourced free tool that will synchronize local lvms to
> iscsi and allow fail over to iscsi targets.

I (personally) have never seen such a tool, free or commercial. I
don't know if it's even possible to have a failover block device
(devs, feel free to shed some more educated light on this). In most
cases, having block devices fail is rather rare, and is not an event
that most systems can recover from gracefully. Failover systems
usually involve hot-spare servers, where the file systems are either
common or synced in some manner.

I suppose you _could_ set up a mirrored LVM volume with your local
disk and your iSCSI target as PVs, but I don't think I would recommend
that. Instead, I would take a second look at your architecture. If you
have an iSCSI system in place, it would be better to build RAID / LVM
mirroring into the iSCSI unit. Let your storage system deal with
storage availability.

--
--Zootboy

Sent from some sort of computing device.