[Xen-users] Automating boot of Ubuntu on encrypted LVM?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Rich Wales <richw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 18:05:45 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 01:07:43 +0000

I'm running Xen 4.1.3 on an Ubuntu 12.10 server; currently using
the "xl" toolstack.

I have an Ubuntu 12.04.2 domU with an encrypted LVM root partition.
Whenever I launch this machine, I currently need to attach to the
domU's console (via vncviewer) and manually type in the passphrase
to unlock the encrypted partition and allow the domU to boot.

If possible, I would like to put the passphrase in a file on the
dom0, and configure the domU to read the passphrase from this file
when it boots.

I am using ecryptfs for my dom0 home directory, and I would put
the passphrase file there, and set up Xen so that it would check
for the existence of the passphrase file (i.e., wait till I had
logged in to my account on the dom0) before starting up the domU.

Is this possible?  If so, how would I set it up?

Rich Wales
richw@xxxxxxxxx