[Xen-users] ATI VGA Passthrough / Xen 4.2 / Linux 3.8.6

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 23:47:06 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 22:49:28 +0000

Hi,

I'm trying to get VGA passthrough to work to an XP x64 guest, and I'm seeing "interesting" things happening.

I'm using the kernel and userspace tools from here:
http://xen.crc.id.au/support/guides/install/#
on Scientific Linux 6.

I gave up on trying to get an Nvidia card to work in the guest having read about the extra patches required to get a non-Quadro card to work. So I switched to using an ATI 6450/7450 card. This works fine - almost. ATI cards have a secondary audio output device function on them for outputting audio over HDMI outputs. When I pass both the VGA and the HDMI audio devices from the host to the guest, the guest cannot use the VGA card. It always shows up as unusable in the guest (yellow exclamation mark in XP x64).

What is the best way to debug this further?

Gordan