Re: [Xen-users] Xen not seeing all the memory in the box

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Rich Wales <richw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 17:36:34 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 00:38:08 +0000

> [James Dingwall]
> What you should find here is an e820 map. Do you have UEFI enabled on
> your system?  This post suggests you shouldn't enable it unless you
> have an EFI Xen.

> [Casey DeLorme]
> Somewhere along the line of the 4.2 stable release they fixed this by
> reversing the if/then statement for the memory map to use (a cleaner
> solution that commenting out the improper map).

Yes, this server does have UEFI enabled (ASUS M5A97 r2.0 motherboard) --
and I couldn't find any way to turn it off.

The "no-real-mode" workaround suggested in a web forum discussion had no
effect for me.

What *did* fix the problem, though, was my upgrading the server from
Ubuntu 12.10 to the new 13.04 (final beta).  The new Ubuntu includes
Xen 4.2.1; the output from "xl dmesg" includes a "Multiboot-e820 RAM
map"; and I am now able to see all the RAM installed in the box.

Thanks for the assistance.

Rich Wales
richw@xxxxxxxxx