Re: [Xen-users] Problem launching VM

On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 11:13 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 11:04 +0100, Jonathan Gowar wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 10:22 +0100, Jonathan Gowar wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >   I have a Debian Wheezy Linux server running Xen 4.1.  I have used Xen
> > > for a couple of years now, but not on these versions, and I am having a
> > > problem launching a VM.  Here is a pastie entry of xend.log
> > > http://pastie.org/pastes/7707677/text
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > >
> > > Jon

> > Additionally, this is in xm dmesg
> >
> > (XEN) Xen does not allow DomU creation on this CPU for security reasons.
>
> This sounds like it is related to XSA-9:
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Security_Announcements#XSA-9_PV_guest_host_Denial_of_Service_.28AMD_erratum_.23121.29
>
> If you are confident that the attack scenarios do not apply to you then
> you can add "allow_unsafe" to your hypervisor command line.
>
> Ian.

Vadim, thank you for your quick response.

Firstly, here:

# xl getenforce
ERROR:  A different toolstack (xm) have been selected!

Is xl 'better' than xm?

Secondly, please let me know the preferred thread, and I'll post
there :)

Ian, thank you too.  That certain seems to be the problem, but I can't
work the solution.  I added allow_unsafe to default/grub and updated:

# cat /proc/cmdline
placeholder root=UUID=3ecb462b-f87c-49a6-9a56-1af61990c40a ro
allow_unsafe

Still the same error though.  Here are some parts from xm dmesg:

(XEN) *** Xen will not allow creation of DomU-s on this CPU for security
reasons. ***
(XEN) *** Pass "allow_unsafe" if you\047re trusting all your (PV) guest
kernels. ***
(XEN) AMD-Vi: IOMMU not found!
(XEN) I/O virtualisation disabled
(XEN) Xen does not allow DomU creation on this CPU for security reasons.

Am I implementing the allow_unsafe parameter correctly?

Here is cpuinfo (for one core):

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 37
model name      : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 246
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 1992.143
cache size      : 1024 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 apic cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr
sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl
extd_apicid pni hypervisor lahf_lm
bogomips        : 3984.28
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64