[Xen-users] Physical Windows HDD Install to Xen DomU Disk Image

  • To: "Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Wardzinski, Todd" <todd.wardzinski@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 10:38:21 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 06 May 2013 15:28:57 +0000

All,

I have tried a number of methods found through various sites on the Internet to get a physical windows install converted to a Xen DomU disk image.  Such as:

1.       DomU disk image creation (formatted as ntfs).  We then mounted the disk image (loop) and directly copied the physical mount image data to the disk image.

2.       Qemu-img convert from physical HDD to VHD.

3.       XenConvert (from Citrix) to VHD

So far I have not had luck in getting any of these to produce a good copy.  Does anyone have any good references for this problem?  Possibly a method that works time and time again?

Please let me know if you have any questions?

Thanks,

Todd