Re: [Xen-users] ATI VGA Passthrough / Xen 4.2 / Linux 3.8.10

Thanks for posting the results Gordan, unfortunate that it isn't working as well as we hoped.

2) My motherboard's PCIe slots are behind NF200 PCIe bridges (yes, EVGA have decided in their infinite wisdom to put all 7 PCIe slots behind NF200s, none are directly attached to the Intel NB).

I'm so sorry :P. NF200 has probably caused a lot of xen tinkerers to
utter a few dozen cuss words a piece.

I can believe that. What is the solution, though?

The thing that drives me really nuts about the issues I'm seeing (which may or may not be specifically related to the NF200) is that it is so intermittent. It works well enough to boot up and work with a gaming type load for a few minutes. Then something happens that causes the VGA card to require a reset, and it all falls apart.

My solution was to buy another motherboard, I had no luck at all passing the devices behind the NF200, and similar to your situation all but one PCIe slot on that board was behind that bridge.

What about with PCIe devices behind NF200 bridges? I know the NF200s don't support PCI ACS, but that is a security feature (which I have disabled enforcement of to get this far), and AFAIK shouldn't actually affect the basic PCI passthrough capability.

Question: how'd you disable ACS? ÂI think it may be causing me some issues.

Put:

(pci-passthrough-strict-check no)
(pci-dev-assign-strict-check no)

in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp

If it was causing you issues, however, I'd expect you to find errors in logs pointing at it.

As I understand the xend-config.sxp is for the xm toolstack and deprecated Xend service.

Perhaps I am confused, or things changed while I wasn't looking, but for me enabling Xend breaks the xl toolstack. ÂMy understanding is it was for the xm toolstack only and deprecated with 4.2. ÂAny chance you can share how you configured it to work? ÂApparently it is required to get libvirt working, which I also did not know was compatible with Xen 4.2.