Re: [Xen-users] Audio PCI passthrough issues in a Linux domU

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your answer. That sounds very similar to how I solved my VGA passthrough: I bought a HD7750 because I couldn't get my GTX550 to work. Because of the closed binary drivers, I didn't see another option.

I would like to use 5.1 and SP/DIF output, and I do have a PCIe x4 empty at the moment. A Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio might do the trick. Creative does not seem to support Linux but if I read you right, it works well with Linux?

There is still the option of emulating a soundcard via Xen, but I find it hard to find any documentation on the requirements of the dom0. I suppose it need alsa installed? It is possible to emulate a 5.1 soundcard? Could you point me to more documentation?

Regarding your remark about PCI being hit or miss: How can I check whether the onboard device is a PCI (or behind a PCIe-PCI bridge)?

I'm sorry to bother you will all those questions. It's just that I still feel very close to getting this onboard audio to work as it already outputs recognizable sound, besides the buffer underrun issues.

Thanks for pointing out SB X-Fi as good last resort.