Re: [Xen-users] blktap2 and qcow2 images

Hi Thanos,

according to the man page and my experiments VHD does not support snapshots:

$ qemu-img snapshot -c base disk1.vhd
qemu-img: Could not create snapshot 'base': -95 (Operation not supported)

$ qemu-img create -f vpc -o backing_file=disk1.vhd,backing_fmt=vpc disk1-snap1.vhd
Unknown option 'backing_file'
qemu-img: Invalid options for file format 'vpc'.

So has anybody out there gotten file image based snapshots working with xen? Because from everything I'm seeing it seems to be simply not supported, but that just seems to be such a basic bit of functionality, that I find that hard to believe.

Cheers,
Seb

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Thanos Makatos <thanos.makatos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So basically xen only supports physical devices and plain image files
> as disk back- ends?! To use snapshots one has to use LVM?

If you want snapshots why don't you use the VHD format? You don't necessarily have to use LVM for this; VHD images can be stored into ordinary files.