Re: [Xen-users] FreeBSD PVHVM call for testing

On 23/05/13 21:09, Colin Percival wrote:
> On 05/23/13 02:06, Roger Pau Monnà wrote:
>> On 22/05/13 22:03, Colin Percival wrote:
>>> Testing on a cr1.8xlarge EC2 instance, I get Xen 4.2, but it ends up with
>>> a panic -- console output below.  I can get a backtrace and possibly even
>>> a dump if those would help.
>>
>> Thanks for the test, I've been using Xen 4.2 (and 4.3) without problems
>> so far. By looking at the Xen code, the only reason the timer setup
>> could return -22 (EINVAL), is that we try to set the timer for a
>> different vCPU than the one we are running on.
>>
>> I've been able to boot a 32 vCPU DomU on my 8way box using Xen 4.2.1
>> (using both qemu-xen and qemu-xen-traditional device models), so I'm
>> unsure if this could be due to some patch Amazon applies to Xen. Could
>> you try the following patch and post the error message? I would like to
>> see if the cpuid reported by kdb and the vCPU that we are trying to set
>> the timer are the same.
>
> Looks like there's agreement about the cpuids here.  Anything else I should
> try testing?

Thanks for the test, this is what I expected. I'm a little bit out of
ideas since I'm not able to reproduce this on upstream Xen 4.2. Without
knowing what's happening inside the hypervisor it's hard to tell what's
wrong. It would be interesting to try if the same happens with a Linux
PVHVM (not PV) running on the same instance type.