[Xen-users] XenServer iSCSI / VDI Not Found

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Evan Ruffini <eruffini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 12:10:32 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 16:29:05 +0000

Hello everyone,

My organization has an iSCSI LUN on a XenServer 6.0.2 host that is having issues.

Last night we attempted a snapshot on a VM that is critical to our infrastructure. During the snapshot, the task locked up and was unable to progress or stop the snapshot. I attempted to force the VM to stop as well as destroy it's domain. As a last resort I had powercycled the host.

Upon bringing the host online again the LUNs failed to mount properly on both of the hosts in the same cluster, entering a "Broken" state where they were listed as "unplugged" (two LUNs). This of course prevented the VMs from starting and we received a "VDI Not Found" error.

We ended up removing one of the hosts from the pool (the original master) and forced the second server to become master. Once we did this we attempted to remount the LUN and one of the two LUNs mounted properly. The second LUN, which contained the most important pair of VMs of course, did not mount properly. It is showing "Broken" / "Unplugged" still.

At this point we are at a loss on how to get this LUN attached to the system again and functioning. We know the data is there because of the 900GB available on the LUN, ~300GB is used (the size of the remaining VMs). The data is intact, as far as we are aware, but we need to get it back and functional.

Does anyone have any idea or can help? We tried calling Citrix support but it won't let us get past their "enter ping number" option to speak to a human, and we tried purchasing premium support on their website for our license but it would not process any of the four credit cards we tried.

Is there another alternative for support available? Is there anyone that has had the same issue successfully resolved?

--
Evan Ruffini