Re: [Xen-users] Questions from a newbie (how to reboot/ windows vista crashing machine)

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 10:11:55PM -0700, Monkey Pet wrote:
> Hi all, I started playing with xen on fedora 19 and really enjoying it.  I
> have some questions.
>
> 1. When I reboot dom0 by simply typing reboot, it gets stuck.  Is there
> another way to reboot dom0?

This is a very vague question. If you want more than my WAG answer,
please provide more details (system logs, error messages, etc.). That
being said, my WAG is that you're not shutting down your domUs before
you shutdown your dom0. To prevent headaches, ensure there are no
running domUs before you attempt a shutdown/reboot of dom0.

> 2. When I try running windows vista under a domU HVM, it works fine until I
> reboot the domU or force shutdown of the domU which causes the entire
> machine (hypervisor/dom0) to crash and reboot.  I tried using the cfg from
> the wiki and also tried using virtual manager.  Where do I look to try to
> see what is going on? is windows on xen?  Haiku and various Linux runs fine
> in the domU HVM.

Once again, no logs, no help. Since you're using Fedora, you should be
able to read the systemd logs leading up to the crash with journalctl.
The man pages are your friend here. If the crash is hard enough, it may
not get written to disk. In that case, you'll want to get a serial
console set up and log the crash messages to another machine.

--Sean