Re: [Xen-users] VGA Passthrough of AMD HD8670D IGP to HVM Win7 results in "Code 43"

Hello Gordan,

thanks for your reply.

I wasn't aware that there was a restriction regarding the DomU RAM. However, it just so happens that I always tried with "memory=2048". I assume this satisfies the <= 2GB RAM requirement, although I'm not sure since I don't know whether you refer to "base-10 G" or "base-2 G". :)
Furthermore, I don't know whether the setting "shadow_memory = 512" counts towards that limit, or whether the 1024MB that has been assigned to the integrated GPU in BIOS does.

Yes, I have tried without any first party patches, as I had written in my first mail in this thread. However, I haven't tried "unpatched" xen with kernel 3.8.13 yet - should I?

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare dedicated graphics card I could add right now. I will try to get one (is it important whether it's PCI or PCIe, nVidia or ATI, or some specific model?) and report back (if) when I get hold of one.
However, my primary goal was to build a computer that would serve two independent VMs with 3D acceleration each, e.g. so that two people could play games at the same time. My plan was to buy the hardware as I have it right now, test whether I could make xen pass-through the one (integrated) GPU I have right now, and then buy a not-too-expensive but still quite powerful dedicated GPU. I would be much happier if I didn't have to buy and install a third GPU, although I realize me wishing that doesn't necessarily make it so. ;)

Thanks!