Re: [Xen-users] Tap2 qcow2 images with libvirt or xm

On Thu, 2013-07-11 at 13:36 -0400, Andrew J Younge wrote:
> I actually figured it out, or at least a around-about solution. What I
> did was stop the xend service and then restart libvirtd, which will
> apparently trigger libvirt to use the libxl channel instead of the xend
> by default.  xl, as confirmed in my previous email, works out of the box
> with qcow2 images so using libvirt in this same function also produced
> images the desired results.
>
> So, my fix is basically to shutdown xend, restart libvirt to use libxl,
> and not worry about using xend/xm again.

BTW I'd recommend disabling starting xend at boot rather than shutting
it down.

> I'm assuming this represents some sort of bug or missing functionality
> with xend. If there's a proper place to file a bug for qcow2 support
> with xend/xm, please let me know. If xend support for tap2:qcow2 is
> truly deprecated then that's fine by me, I just recommend documenting
> this somewhere.

xend itself is deprecated. It's mentioned in the wiki e..g
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Release_Features and
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XEND as well as the xm manpage.

>  Personally I'm just going to stay on with using the
> libxl setup, as it currently meets my needs right now.

This is the right thing to be using as well.

Ian.