Re: [Xen-users] DomU P2V, no drive found

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 16:41:04 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 21:42:09 +0000

El 31/07/13 15:30, Flako escribió:
2013/7/31 Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Hello.

El 30/07/13 18:10, Flako escribió:

Hello, I'm trying to virtualize with xen a SLES11 SP1 (physical) in a
SLESSP2 Dom0.
When you start the domU, this is not the virtual disk.
Modify fstab and menu.lst but sige without starting.
The truth that I'm a little confused, can not see that I'm missing.

The error is:
mount: devpts already mounted or /dev/pts busy
mount: according to mtab, devpts is already mounted on /dev/pts
Boot logging started on /dev/ttyS0(/dev/console) at Tue Jul 30 18:34:10
2013
resume device  not found (ignoring)
Waiting for device /dev/hda2 to appear: [    2.199923]
..............................Could not find /dev/hda2.
Want me to fall back to
/dev/disk/by-uuid/fb5c6b0b-3688-43cd-8b20-d8fa3a0ba993? (Y)

Maybe the disk is seen within DomU as sda, not hda? Please show the config
for grub and fstab. Did you generated those two configs, or the installer
did?

Hi Alexandre,
Sorry for the broken link (I thought that had revised) now revised so
it should work.

     Files fstab and grub menu.lst configuration

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8rkUchOnWAKbWlGTzFrNzFjZ1E/edit?usp=sharing
menu.lst and fstab always make reference to hda. If your disk is detected by the guest kernel under a different name, this won't work. Find out how your disk is detected by your guest OS. hda, hdb, sda, whatever.

     Console error log -

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8rkUchOnWAKb2N4TWE0d1NSMFU/edit?usp=sharing
Apparently, your DomU can see a disk, but it's not called "hda" within DomU (not the same as in Dom0) or, at least, there is no "hda2". It also says that there is a promising device called /dev/disk/by-uuid/fb5c6b0b-3688-43cd-8b20-d8fa3a0ba993. Surely it's a symbolic link to the real device.

Another thing to check out, is that your DomU config does not have "ioemu" flag on the disk, that allows the guest OS to use paravirtualized driver and significantly boosts the IO speed. The message "FATAL: Module xen_vbd not found." suggests that there is some problem with this PV driver. You may try to set the flag up:
disk=[ 'file:/mnt/util/xen-images/bcs/disco1,ioemu:hda,w']

This is not the recommended configuration for production, but at least it may tell you if the problem is related with this.

     Log debuger of DomU -

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8rkUchOnWAKNWpHQktINHRoNjg/edit?usp=sharing

 I think they are hda because SLES11SP1 installation cd shows them as hda.
Sometimes the disk is detected under a different name after the installation, that's why the UUID is often used instead of the device name.

  IF I define settings "disk = ['tap: aio :/ mnt/xendomain/bcs/disco1,
sda, w'", the bios shows the eror: "xen boot from hard disk failed
Could not read the boot disk"
No, the disk settings in the DomU configuration was fine as "hda", do not modify them.

Greetings.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov