Re: [Xen-users] Trying to create new domain on 4.3 but domU is starting crashed (-sc-)

On Thu, 2013-08-01 at 17:04 +0100, Ian Murray wrote:

> > With any modern kernel console=hvc0 is what you want, if your kernel is
> > old but not a complete relic then "console=hvc0 xencons=hvc" should
> > work.
>
> Anything new is PVOPS Ubuntu kernel 3.2 onwards and I have some CentOS
> 5 DomU's using the original Xen kernel that comes with it.

Actually pvops (and therefore console=hvc0) 32-bit first landed around
about 2.6.24 and 64-bit around 2.6.27, 2.6.32 was when it really became
ready for normal domU users though IMHO.

Around the time pvops was introduced the "hvc" name and the xencons=
command line to select the name were added to the classic-kernels too,
including, I thought, the CentOS5 ones (in new enough point releases).
Maybe I'm mistaken about that latter point though.

There were also forward ported classic-Xen kernels which overlapped with
the pvops stuff, and those would know about xencons too.

Since newer kernels will use hvc0 by default and don't know about (and
therefore ignore) xencons= and most older kernels & newer forward ported
classic-Xen kernels understand xencons using "console=hvc0 xencons=hvc"
should work just about everywhere except for the most ancient distro
kernels (pre 2.6.18 level stuff, unless I'm wrong about CentOS5).

Ian.