Re: [Xen-users] Ubuntu 12.10 out of the box with Xen 4.1

On Wed, 2013-08-07 at 09:51 -0400, Russ Pavlicek wrote:
> >You can probably just install the latest Ubuntu kernel even without
> >upgrading the whole distro. At least I've done that with Debian often...
>
> Except that I need to be booted from the new kernel just to do the
> upgrade.  Once the thermal condition is tripped, the machine becomes
> virtually useless.
>
> So I guess I will see if the latest Ubuntu release can boot up
> correctly and then try to upgrade or reinstall.  If not, I may need to
> move the hard drive into another machine and try to upgrade the kernel
> there.  Uggh.

A newer Ubuntu live CD might be sufficient to boot and chroot into the
HDD install to update your kernel. Or you might be able to pxeboot a
rescue image. If Ubuntu is like Debian then the text mode netboot
installation media has rescue functionality.

Or you could do the upgrade in a cold storage locker ;-)

Ian.