Re: [Xen-users] Best Practice and Documentation for Xen 4.2 using LibXL

On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 13:56 -0700, Virtually Mad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting back in to Xen after a little while out of the game.  It seems
> things have moved on quite a bit while I was away!
>
> I remember using "xm list" and "xm migrate --live" etc to manage my VMs but
> I recently took a look at what I believe to be the latest stable release
> (Xen 4.2) and found that xm is deprecated and I should be using xl instead.
> When I try and do things with xl it seems to conflict with xend.

Yes, you need to stop xend from running, otherwise bad things will
happen (like your xl domains getting immediately shot, as you've
experienced).

xl includes a latch to warn you if xend is running and refuse to operate
unless forced to. Not sure why that isn't working for you (I assume it
isn't because you haven't mentioned it).

>   Sorry I
> can't be more specific -my test setup is a bit of a mess now.
> It seems that whenever I google for a Howto or Faq it invariably shows me
> the xm way of doing things, and the documentation on Xen 4.2 seems to be not
> as comprehensive as Xen 3 was.

I'm not sure what you mean, if anything there is far more (and better)
documentation for Xen 4.2 than there ever was for previous versions.
Perhaps you are referring to 3rd party guides?

> Can anyone point me to a definitive guide for Best Practice with Xen 4.2
> running Centos 6, e.g. examples of tried and tested config files which work
> out of the box so I can create my VMs straight away.

xl is intended to be command line and config file compatible with xm
(with one or two caveats mentioned in http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XL). I
think your problems stem from xend interfering.

If you still have problems when xend has been stopped (and even better
if you can prevent it starting on boot and restart) then please let us
know. You will gain more traction if you include the logs which are
requested in http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Reporting_Bugs_against_Xen .

Ian.