Re: [Xen-users] Best Practice and Documentation for Xen 4.2 using LibXL

Ian Campbell-10 wrote
> On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 13:56 -0700, Virtually Mad wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm getting back in to Xen after a little while out of the game.  It
>> seems
>> things have moved on quite a bit while I was away!
>>
>> I remember using "xm list" and "xm migrate --live" etc to manage my VMs
>> but
>> I recently took a look at what I believe to be the latest stable release
>> (Xen 4.2) and found that xm is deprecated and I should be using xl
>> instead.
>> When I try and do things with xl it seems to conflict with xend.
>
> Yes, you need to stop xend from running, otherwise bad things will
> happen (like your xl domains getting immediately shot, as you've
> experienced).
>
> xl includes a latch to warn you if xend is running and refuse to operate
> unless forced to. Not sure why that isn't working for you (I assume it
> isn't because you haven't mentioned it).
>

>>   Sorry I
>> can't be more specific -my test setup is a bit of a mess now.
>> It seems that whenever I google for a Howto or Faq it invariably shows me
>> the xm way of doing things, and the documentation on Xen 4.2 seems to be
>> not
>> as comprehensive as Xen 3 was.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean, if anything there is far more (and better)
> documentation for Xen 4.2 than there ever was for previous versions.
> Perhaps you are referring to 3rd party guides?
>
>> Can anyone point me to a definitive guide for Best Practice with Xen 4.2
>> running Centos 6, e.g. examples of tried and tested config files which
>> work
>> out of the box so I can create my VMs straight away.
>
> xl is intended to be command line and config file compatible with xm
> (with one or two caveats mentioned in http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XL). I
> think your problems stem from xend interfering.
>
> If you still have problems when xend has been stopped (and even better
> if you can prevent it starting on boot and restart) then please let us
> know. You will gain more traction if you include the logs which are
> requested in http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Reporting_Bugs_against_Xen .
>
> Ian.

> Xen-users@.xen

> http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Thanks Ian.  Can't supply the logs as due to time constraints have had to
give up on XL and just get something working with libvirt.  I was having
problems with finding an xl config syntax that worked for me, specifically
the disk and iso definitions were not intuitive and I kept getting errors
with devices not being found and root disk not found and a few other errors.
But libvirt works fine, and I'll revisit XL when I get a chance.
As for the docs, I probably was remembering the excellent Red Hat
Virtualisation Guide and Oracle VM Install Guides etc. but there was a
100-page PDF for Xen 3 and I couldn't find anything on Xen 4 other than man
pages, and a wiki with mostly plain text files etc. e.g. the xl-disk-config
info which I tried and failed to use for my disk config.

GW