[Xen-users] How to install linux PV DomU on Debian ZFS Dom0 (Xen 4.3)

I am having trouble using my Dom0 local ZFS datasets in my linux PV DomU.

I have installed Xen4.3 from Debian wheezy with some unstable packages from sid
and also set up ZFSonLinux.
Both appear to be working well but I can't work out the best way to use the
storage in a Debian PV Dom0.
I tried creating the Dom0 with:
xen-create-image --hostname=web1-pv --memory=8gb --vcpus=2 --dhcp --pygrub
--dist=wheezy --dir=/zpool1/vm2/
I suspect the --dir=/zpool1/vm2/ is incorrect but am unsure what to use instead
(perhaps need to create the image manually?)
The virtual machine fails to find the images when it starts.

Is it necessary to have EXT3 images stored on the ZFS pool or can the Dom0
somehow access the ZFS datasets directly?
So I need a wrapper like iSCSI or NFS to present files to the DomUs?
If so, which would have the least overhead and preserve the benefits of ZFS?

For those that are curious, the performace of ZFS on linux looks really good,
201MB/s read, 123MB/s write on a 2 disk mirror with 3TB 7200rpm 3.5" SAS
drives, no fancy ZIF or L2ARC yet, no dedup or compression.