Re: [Xen-users] How to install linux PV DomU on Debian ZFS Dom0 (Xen 4.3)

On 15/09/13 07:45, Frank wrote:
> I am having trouble using my Dom0 local ZFS datasets in my linux PV DomU.
>
> I have installed Xen4.3 from Debian wheezy with some unstable packages from
> sid and also set up ZFSonLinux.
> Both appear to be working well but I can't work out the best way to use the
> storage in a Debian PV Dom0.
> I tried creating the Dom0 with:
> xen-create-image --hostname=web1-pv --memory=8gb --vcpus=2 --dhcp --pygrub
> --dist=wheezy --dir=/zpool1/vm2/
> I suspect the --dir=/zpool1/vm2/ is incorrect but am unsure what to use
> instead (perhaps need to create the image manually?)
> The virtual machine fails to find the images when it starts.

Could you please post the config file of the guest? And the path were
your image is stored.

> Is it necessary to have EXT3 images stored on the ZFS pool or can the Dom0
> somehow access the ZFS datasets directly?
> So I need a wrapper like iSCSI or NFS to present files to the DomUs?
> If so, which would have the least overhead and preserve the benefits of ZFS?

IMHO you should dd the image created by xen-create-image to a zvol (a
block device) in order to obtain better performance. Using raw image
files hosted on ZFS is probably not going to make much of a difference
from other filesystems.