Re: [Xen-users] How to install linux PV DomU on Debian ZFS Dom0 (Xen 4.3)

On 16/09/2013, at 6:47 PM, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15/09/13 07:45, Frank wrote:
>> I am having trouble using my Dom0 local ZFS datasets in my linux PV DomU.
>>
>> I have installed Xen4.3 from Debian wheezy with some unstable packages from
>> sid and also set up ZFSonLinux.
>> Both appear to be working well but I can't work out the best way to use the
>> storage in a Debian PV Dom0.
>> I tried creating the Dom0 with:
>> xen-create-image --hostname=web1-pv --memory=8gb --vcpus=2 --dhcp --pygrub
>> --dist=wheezy --dir=/zpool1/vm2/
>> I suspect the --dir=/zpool1/vm2/ is incorrect but am unsure what to use
>> instead (perhaps need to create the image manually?)
>> The virtual machine fails to find the images when it starts.
>
> Could you please post the config file of the guest? And the path were
> your image is stored.

I don't think the images were created properly as they
are not visible in the file tree where they should be:

/zpool1/vm2/  is empty

#
# Configuration file for the Xen instance web1-pv, created
# by xen-tools 4.4beta1 on Thu Sep 12 22:44:29 2013.
#

#
#  Kernel + memory size
#

bootloader = '/usr/lib/xen-4.3/bin/pygrub'

vcpus       = '2'
memory      = '8192'

#
#  Disk device(s).
#
root        = '/dev/xvda2 ro'

disk        = [
                 'file:/zpool1/vm2/domains/web1-pv/disk.img,xvda2,w',
                 'file:/zpool1/vm2/domains/web1-pv/swap.img,xvda1,w',
             ]

#
#  Physical volumes
#

#
#  Hostname
#
name        = 'web1-pv'

#
#  Networking
#
dhcp        = 'dhcp'
vif         = [ <REMOVED>]

#
#  Behaviour
#
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

>> Is it necessary to have EXT3 images stored on the ZFS pool or can the Dom0
>> somehow access the ZFS datasets directly?
>> So I need a wrapper like iSCSI or NFS to present files to the DomUs?
>> If so, which would have the least overhead and preserve the benefits of ZFS?
>
> IMHO you should dd the image created by xen-create-image to a zvol (a
> block device) in order to obtain better performance. Using raw image
> files hosted on ZFS is probably not going to make much of a difference
> from other filesystems.

That sounds like a good idea, thanks for the suggestion.
I have a ext4 partition where I can create the images and then I will dd them
to the zpool

what would be the appropriate disk  = [] specification once I have done this?