Re: [Xen-users] fresh xcp 1.6 & xenserver install fails on first boot (kernel not found).

On Mon, 2013-09-23 at 00:53 +0000, mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Interesting â I donât have a grub.cfg
>
> Iâve reinstalled â I still donât have one.

Jacek appears to be using the form of XCP which you can "yum install"
onto an existing CentOS (or Debian with apt) platform. You appear to be
using the XCP "main.iso" style self-contained distro. It is unlikely
that boot problems with one would translate into boot problems with the
other.

IIRC (caveat: I've been nowhere near an XCP of either flavour nor a
XenServer system for years, apply pinch of salt...) the main.iso XCP
uses syslinux (or more precisely extlinux), I expect you'll find a
config file with such a name under /boot somewhere.

You say you've wiped the boot sector -- you might want to try booting a
rescue disk and rerunning extlinux to reinitialise the boot partition
stuff. You might also want to make sure you have a suitable MBR.

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/EXTLINUX has more info on both of
those steps.

The other thing which can confuse the boot on a RAID system is a
disparity between what the BIOS sees and what the RAID system makes up.
I don't know if your disk controller is doing hardware or software RAID
but it is something to be aware of e.g. if the BIOS offers a choice of
boot devices including the RAID device and the individual disks, choose
the RAID.

Ian.