Re: [Xen-users] First time xen install - Xen DomU runs, but can't find "/dev/root"

On Sun, 2013-10-13 at 22:46 +1100, G Crowe wrote:
> I'm trying to get started with Xen and thought I'd do a simple install
> Fedora 18 as a DomU under a Fedora 18 Dom0. Unfortunately this is not
> working for me.
>
> It appears to boot the kernel fine, but then complains that it can't
> find "/dev/root". I presume that this would be a specific root image for
> the Fedora installer?

/dev/root is a device node which corresponds to whichever device
contains the root filesystem. It's a bit special but not specific to
Fedora.

> Can someone please let me know what I am doing wrong? (details of what I
> am trying are below).
>
> Also, I had to manually start "xend" to get this far. Is this normal? It
> didn't appear in the services in /etc/rc.d/init.d.
>

> Thank you
>

> I created a 20GB logical volume /dev/fedora_dhcp1/xen1
> I mounted the Fedora 18 installation ISO into /mnt/install (-t iso9660
> -o loop,ro)
> I created the Xen DomU instance using the following command...
> # virt-install --paravirt --name xen1 --ram 256 --vcpus 1 -f
> /dev/fedora_dhcp1/xen1 --network bridge=br0 --location /mnt/install
> --graphics none
>
> The DomU seems to load the kernel fine (it comes up with all the usual
> kernel messages) but then drops to emergency mode saying that it could
> not boot. The last few lines from the console are as follows...

It's generally better to provide the entire log. There may be something
useful in there.

> [    8.304193] Initialising Xen virtual ethernet driver.
> [    8.358337] blkfront: xvda: flush diskcache: enabled
> [    8.457020]  xvda: unknown partition table
> [  OK  ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
> [  OK  ] Reached target Basic System.
> dracut-initqueue[276]: Warning: Could not boot.
> [  OK  ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
> [  OK  ] Reached target Basic System.
> dracut-initqueue[276]: Warning: Could not boot.
> dracut-initqueue[276]: Warning: /dev/root does not exist

What was your root= on the kernel command line?