[Xen-users] How do I get rid of vfb?

Hi all,
I’m running Xen 4.1 on a couple of NetBSD dom0s and NetBSD’s pkgsrc provides
both the xl and xm tools for working with Xen 4.1. I understand that xl is the
new way of doing things, but I can’t get it to create my guests the way I want
and the main symptom of this is that the text console isn’t available.

When I create a guest with xl it starts up qemu-dm (which xm doesn’t do) and I
get messages in the logs about frame buffers. I do not want a frame buffer.
Neither a paravirtualised one, nor an emulated one. With xm my guests have hvc0
as a console and that works perfectly for me.

Xen obviously doesn’t need qemu-dm and I don’t need qemu-dm, so how do I
convince xl to start a guest without trying to emulate some hardware with
qmeu-dm?

Thanks,
Lloyd

p.s. For reference, here is my guest configuration. The “builder” line is
commented out when I use xm of course.

builder = “generic"
kernel = "/netbsd-612-XEN3_DOMU.gz"
memory = 1024