From: Nate Studer [mailto:nate.studer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:16 AM
To: Michael Davis; xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Robbie VanVossen
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Arinc653 does not run VM

On 11/19/2013 7:13 PM, Michael Davis wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am using Xen 4.2.3 installed on an Intel Atom with a Debian Dom0 and
> 3 Debian domU's installed.  I am trying to run some benchmarks using
> the Arinc653 scheduler.  I have edited my grub options to boot with
> 'maxcpus=1 sched=arinc653' options.  I can boot the dom0 and verify
> that the scheduler is enabled.  However when I xl create, the VM is
> created but I cannot connect a console to it.  Running xl list shows
> the vm but it has no state (------) and Time equals 0.0 .  The scheduler is
> clearly not allocating any time to the VM.
> I am able to boot and run VMs using the sedf and credit schedulers fine.
>

> Does anyone have any idea what change I need to make to get the
> scheduler to run the VM?  I appreciate the help.

  Either before creating the domain, or after creating it, you need to load a
schedule by calling xc_sched_arinc653_schedule_set.

  See the wiki page for an example of how to do this:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/ARINC653_Scheduler .

  To get the UUID of your domain, you should either set the UUID of your domain
to a known value in the config file (preferred) or read the UUID from xenstore.

  config file:
     uuid = "646F6D31-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"

  xenstore read:
     sudo xenstore-read /local/domain/<dom id>/vm
     /vm/<UUID>

  The UUID of dom0 is "".  Make sure to put a slot in the schedule for dom0, or
else dom0 will stop running.

> Here is my grub option:
>

> menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.2.3 and Linux 3.2.0-4-686-pae'
> --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen {
>
>         insmod part_msdos
>
>         insmod ext2
>
>         set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
>
>         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root
> 7fd8f884-066b-45f7-a3ad-426d445b96d4
>
>         echo    'Loading Xen 4.2.3 ...'
>
>         multiboot       /boot/xen-4.2.3.gz placeholder   maxcpus=1
> sched=arinc653
>
>         echo    'Loading Linux 3.2.0-4-686-pae ...'
>
>         module  /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-686-pae placeholder
> root=UUID=7fd8f884-066b-45f7-a3ad-426d445b96d4 ro edd=off
> initrd=/install/initrd.gz
>
>         echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
>
>         module  /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-686-pae

Nothing looks wrong here, and in Xen 4.2.3 if your boot options deviate from
the supported ones for the arinc653 scheduler, obvious bad things will happen
(crash).  Since dom0 is booting, this should not be your problem.