Re: [Xen-users] Xen private network across multiple physical servers

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:07:09 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 16:08:33 +0000

Hello.

El 26/11/13 02:05, Borja Martín escribió:
Hi,
I would like to configure a Xen private network where the guests use
private addresses. So far I have setup the Dom0 instances and the vm's
can access to the other guests inside the same server.
Now my question is how can the guests reach the other guests that are
located in other physical servers.

As Ian said, you definitely will need to set up some sort of tunnel between your physical hosts. Consider having a TAP device on each physical host. It should be handled up by some VPN software at the backend, and incorporated to a the same ethernet bridge as your DomU's private interfaces.

As a little bit more complex, but cleaner option, consider deploying a small DomU dedicated to this task on each physical server. Set up the VPN within the DomU, not a Dom0. This will make your configuration much more flexible and portable.

OpenVPN should work well. I also have been working with Tinc VPN for similar propose, it's mush simpler to set up, specially on small networks.

As a reference, XenServer call this "Cross-Server Private Network", you may check how is it organized there.

Greetings.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov