Re: [Xen-users] VGA Passthrough with Xen 4.3 and Qemu 1.7 on Debian Jessie

Hey there,

as Casey suggested (thank you!) I built qemu-dm from the xen sources
and now VGA passthrough is working again. It seems that there is still
something missing in qemu upstream.

Here's the small test example which now works fine (without
device_model_override as I installed qemu-dm in the right place):

name = 'test'
builder = 'hvm'
memory = 2048
pci = ['0000:01:00.1','0000:01:00.0']

I used the debian sources from Jessie and pbuilder to build xen. I had
to modify some files in debian/ such that qemu-dm is built again; find
the patchable diff attached. I had to insert "sleep 1d" as building
the debian packages after compilation failed and pbuilder cleaned up
before I could get a hand on qemu-dm.

At the bottom are some lines to save, install and uninstall qemu-dm
after building.

Cheers,
Volker

### save built files
cd <build-dir>
mkdir /tmp/qemu-dm
cp debian/build/build-utils_amd64/tools/blktap/lib/libblktap.so.3.0.0
/tmp/qemu-dm/
cp
debian/build/build-utils_amd64/tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir-remote/i386-dm/qemu-dm
/tmp/qemu-dm/
cp -r
debian/build/build-utils_amd64/tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir-remote/keymaps
/tmp/qemu-dm/
cd /tmp/
tar czf ~/qemu-dm.tgz qemu-dm
rm -r qemu-dm

### install libblktap, qemu-dm and keymaps
cd /tmp
tar xf ~/qemu-dm.tgz
cp qemu-dm/libblktap.so.3.0.0 /usr/lib/
cp qemu-dm/qemu-dm /usr/lib/xen-4.3/bin/
mkdir -p /usr/share/xen/qemu/
cp -r qemu-dm/keymaps /usr/share/xen/qemu/
ldconfig
rm -r qemu-dm

### remove libblktap, qemu-dm and keymaps
rm -r /usr/lib/libblktap.so.3.* /usr/lib/xen-4.3/bin/qemu-dm
/usr/share/xen/qemu/keymaps
rmdir /usr/share/xen/qemu /usr/share/xen