Re: [Xen-users] I/O virtualisation disabled - ACPI issue?

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Jami Bradley <bradleyfamily.jami@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Jami Bradley <bradleyfamily.jami@xxxxxxxxx>
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 18:03:36 -0700
Subject: [Xen-users] I/O virtualisation disabled - ACPI issue?
I just started using Xen and am trying to come up to speed.  I am trying to configure a desktop PC to boot Xen, then passthrough VGA, Keyboard, and Mouse to a VM for development.  I have a Win7 DomU working beautifully without the passthrough, so I have the basics working.

Here is my configuration (please let me know if I missed something important):
ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard, current BIOS, with VT-D enabled.
Intel I7-4930K processor

I installed CentOS 6.5 minimal for Dom0, plus a couple packages to get things working (e.g., Perl).  I have xend turned off and I am trying to do everything using the XL toolkit.

I have installed Xen 4.2.3 stable and have built and installed the current head from GIT (post 4.3.1) with identical results.

After some debugging, I believe it is failing to parse the ACPI table (acpi_drhd_units is empty in intel_vtd_setup) and disabling IOMMU.

Any tips on how to proceed?

Thanks!

I just wanted to follow up on my research on my issue.  What I found is that the ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard does *not* support VT-d.  It supports "Virtualization" by Vanderpool (aka. VT-x).  Looking at the BIOS releases they have had, version 0906 added support for VT-d. Apparently at some point they dropped/disabled it.

But, here is the last response I received from ASUS, I will cross my fingers!!!

I have checked with the relative department, and they mentioned a new bios will be released to solve the VT-D option not exist in the bios with the Ivy bridge-E cpu installed, may be in one month.
Please pay attention to our website for updating.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Carter
ASUS Product Support Team