Re: [Xen-users] XenProject.org Q&A: Running xen to create PV hosts under KVM with virtio

If I understand him correctly he wants to use virtio as the "host" (from
Xen's PoV) disk device driver (i.e. the KVM guest's I/O path). As
distinct from wanting to use virtio as the I/O path for the Xen PV
guests.

My experience with the ARM Foundation model (which also exposes a virtio
"host" disk) is that the virtio drivers do not work under Xen because
they do not correctly use the kernel's DMA APIs (this is needed because
under Xen physical addrs to not map 1:1 to DMA addresses). By "do not
correctly use" I actually mean "do not use at all".

IMHO this is a bug in virtio and it would be lovely to see it fixed, but
AFAIK noone is working on that since it is a bit of a niche use case. If
he wants to have a stab at it he'll probably want to join the xen-devel
and qemu-devel lists.

On ARM we have the option to make DMA addr=physical addr which can be
used to work around this issue. I don't think there is any similar
option for x86 PV dom0.

Ian.