Re: [Xen-users] Guest domain cannot connect to outside network

On Fri, 2014-01-24 at 10:54 +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > You've got two physical devices on this single bridge. I don't know if
> > that is problematic but it is a bit unusual and might require other
> > tweaks to the network configuration.
>
> Shouldn't be a problem, just means there are two physical ports on the
> virtual switch. I have a number of machines with this configured -
> quite handy as a transparent firewall or for traffic logging as you
> can stick it inline with a network connection and it's transparent to
> the network.

Do you not get weird network loops etc?

Also Linux has some interesting properties wrt selecting which port to
send an ARP on and how and when it replies to ARP received, at the least
some sysctl tweaking seems to be needed

> I was more interested in this bit :
> > #vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0' ]
> > vif = [ '' ]
>
> I'd have thought the commented out version would be more appropriate - does
> the active config even create a bridge connected port ?

Yes, the default vif-bidge script will pick the first bridge if nothing
is specified.

> I don't know if it's an artefact of having stopped the guest and
> restarted it (thus making the only guest into Dom2), or if it relates
> to a different guest. But the OP refers to Dom1, but under Dom0 status
> has :
> $sudo brctl show
> > bridge name bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
> > xenbr0              8000.000af72bc8ce       no              eth0
> >                                                     eth1
> >                                                     vif2.0
>
> which doesn't show a VIF for Dom1.

Well spotted, this is worth clarifying.