[Xen-users] $ xe vm-list - Connection refused (calling connect )

I'm trying to install xen on a debian 7 x86 virtualbox guest.  My
setup is based on cloudstack's devcloud2 [1]

The main xen packages I'm installing are:

  apt-get  install xcp-networkd linux-headers-3.2.0-4-686-pae
xen-hypervisor-4.1-i386 xcp-xapi xcp-xe xcp-guest-templates
xcp-vncterm xen-tools blktap-utils blktap-dkms qemu-keymaps qemu-util

After rebooting the machine and running '$ xe vm-list', I get the error:

   Connection refused (calling connect )

I've added some debug output here [2]

Any pointers will be appreciated!

Many thanks,