[Xen-users] Fw: booting

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 00:11:36 +0800
From: IAN DELANEY <idella4@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: xen-arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: booting

I'm the maintainer of xen @ gentoo and I've been trying to boot into
a dom0 kernel for some days now on a cubieboard2.  Is it possible for
assistance here?

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions

&

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARMv7_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Allwinner#Booting_Xen_and_Dom0

are very hard to follow, mainly because they typically assume far too
much knowledge on the part of the reader.  I'm a dev @ gentoo but a
total newbie at arm.

The wiki reads as if the cubieboard2 has been used to boot into a dom0
style kernel in testing.  The wiki page is hard to follow in part also
because the page has apparently been changed then not updated leaving
faulty info.

 The `sunxi-next` contain stuff destined for the next Linux merge
 window, while `sunxi-devel` contains things targeting future versions.
 Both branches are rebasing.

is correct, however

Start from the multi_v7_defconfig multiplatform kernel:

make sun7i_dom0_defconfig

is NOT.  Apparently that kernel is no longer being linked and the
current kernel 3.13-rc4 simply does NOT even have the
sun7i_dom0_defconfig.

"This assumes that the kernel is <4MB, "

leaves me in the lurch because the zImage comes up over 4 mb. and I am
not versed in hex maths so as to convert all these addresses, which
leaves me vulnerable to making wrong data.

"console=hvc0 ro root=/dev/sda1 "

does this pertain to a usb boot?  Mine is actually from an SDHC card,
once again making for uncertainty.

setenv bootargs "console=dtuart dtuart=/soc@01c00000/serial@01c28000
dom0_mem=128M"

What happened to root=.... ?

 Parameters for the domain 0 kernel are passed using the
 xen,dom0-bootargs

Does this mean it becomes

setenv xen,dom0-bootargs "....."

or perhaps just

setenv dom0-bootargs "....."

making the instruction text "are passed using the xen,dom0-bootargs"
utterly ambiguous, again creating uncertainty.

I initially booted into the CB2 via the 3.4-75 kernel from sunxi with a
boot.cmd provided by the arm arch dev @ gentoo. He knows nothing about
xen and doesn't even understand what a dom0 is.  Currently, despite
using a boot.xen amd mkimage a boot.scr from the boot.xen, the CB2
boots into the WRONG kernel.

This underlines the problem with the wki for
Xen_ARMv7_with_Virtualization_Extensions. It's both faulty and as clear
as proverbial mud.

The use of the u-boot is totally new to me having become accustomed to
grub.  The instructs for such a challenging and technically intricate
process of booting a dom0 in an arm board need be made crystal clear,
and it isn't.  I'm circumspect about gaining clear answers from this
source and therefore about being able to get the CB2 to boot into
dom0.  If a xen maintainer @ gentoo can't follow this literature, what
chance a user?