Re: [Xen-users] How to set up a domU to run on multiple dom0s

On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 15:30 +0100, Robin Axelsson wrote:
> I want to run a multithreaded Windows binary while distributing the
> threads over several computers on a local network. Since the binary in
> itself (mplus) has no support for distributed computing, I was hoping it
> would be possible to distribute the the computational threads over the
> network through a virtual layer.
>
> I cannot see how such a windows binary could be 'tricked' into running
> over two separate VMs, unless Windows provides some kind of
> functionality that would allow threads and sub-threads to be redirected
> to other computers in a network.

Indeed, the application needs to be written to support this mode of
operation.

> I thought this is what cloud computing was intended for. What happened
> to eucaluptus, enomaly or even cloudfoundry?

I'm afraid not and I think you may have misunderstood.

Cloud computing is many things to many people but it is mostly about
carving up big resources into smaller ones, or perhaps about designing
things in such a way that they can be deployed as lots of small
(semi)independent things.

AFAIK it has never been about putting aggregating small resources
together in a way which appears transparently to higher levels to be a
bigger resource. Certainly Xen has never been about that.

Ian.