Re: [Xen-users] trouble with building latest xen code

On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 13:42 +0100, Aastha Mehta wrote:
> On 20 February 2014 13:28, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Distro - Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS (Precise),
> >> Kernel - 3.13.2
> >> Xen version - 4.4 unstable (custom build)
> >> yajl older version: 1.0.12-2
> >> # aptitude versions libyajl-dev
> >> Package libyajl-dev:
> >> pi  1.0.12-2                    precise                         500
> >> Package libyajl-dev:i386:
> >> p   1.0.12-2                    precise                         500
> >>
> >> Latest yajl version available: 2.0.1
> >>
> >> There is some change in the yajl code between version 1 and 2, which
> >> prevents the tools, specifically libxl from compiling.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > libxl is supposed to handle yajl1 as well as yajl2, detected at compile
> > time. The only references to yajl_gen_config I can see are correctly
> > within #ifdef HAVE_YAJL_V2 blocks and shouldn't be used when compiling
> > against yajl1.
> >
> > Does Ubuntu's yajl 1.0.12 include /usr/include/yajl/yajl_version.h? This
> > is used to detect which version, via the YAJL_MAJOR #define in it.
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/amd64/libyajl-dev/filelist says it
> > was there and it contained:
> >         #define YAJL_MAJOR 1
> >         #define YAJL_MINOR 0
> >         #define YAJL_MICRO 12
> >
> > so I think libxl should have been using the yajl1 compatible code in
> > libxl_json.h
> >
> > Did you by any chance have a mixture of packaged and unpackaged versions
> > of libyajl installed when you saw this failure?
> >
> > Ian.
> >

> That might have been the case actually. I do remember downloading and
> installing all sorts of dependencies before building xen. The
> yajl_version.h file was there, but because of a mixture of versions
> installed things must have got messed up.

Thanks.

I'm going to assume this was some sort of local weirdness then and not
worry about it any further.

FWIW I believe all of Xen's dependencies are available packaged in
Ubuntu so there shouldn't be any need to build any of them from source.
This should be generally true of most major distros.

Ian.