Re: [Xen-users] debian wheezy bridge creation

chris snow <chsnow123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've installed xen on debian wheezy 7.0 virtualbox machine with three
> network interfaces:
>
> echo 'xcp-networkd xcp-xapi/networking_type select bridge' |
> debconf-set-selections
> apt-get --no-install-recommends -q -y --force-yes install xcp-networkd
> apt-get --no-install-recommends -q -y --force-yes install
> linux-headers-3.2.0-4-amd64 xen-hypervisor-
> apt-get --no-install-recommends -q -y --force-yes install xcp-xapi
> xcp-xe xcp-guest-templates xcp-vncterm xen-tools blktap-utils
> blktap-dkms qemu-keymaps qemu-utils
>
> echo "bridge" > /etc/xcp/network.conf
> update-rc.d xendomains disable
> echo TOOLSTACK=xapi > /etc/default/xen

You say Xen, then quote what looks to me like XCP stuff. I believe there's
another forum for XCP.

> When the system boots,  in addition to eth0, eth1 and eth3, I have
> three bridge interfaces xenbr0, xenbr1 and xenbr2.
>
> How and when are there bridges created, when xen installs, or when it
> starts up?  Is there any documentation that describes this behavior?

Standard advice these days for a **Xen** install on Debian is to let the
network tools take care of it - ie do NOT use the Xen scripts. There have been
many posts about doing this, but you just need something like this (change the
bridge and interface names to suit) in your /etc/network/interfaces file :

auto ethbak
iface ethbak inet static
  bridge_ports pethbak
  address x.x.x.x
  netmask 255.255.0.0

After that, the bridge just automagically appears at boot.

Simon Hobson