Re: [Xen-users] maxvcpus or cpu_weight directive block domU startup after upgrade to Xen 4.3.2

On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 10:33 +0100, Jan Hejl wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> has anything changed with Xen 4.3.2 what can cause machine startup
> freeze?

Not really my area, but nothing leaps out at me from the logd.

>  I use this config for Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise HVM domU:
>
> builder='hvm'
> memory = 8192
> name = "TS"
> vcpus=16
> maxvcpus=32
> cpu_weight=224
> cpus="16-31"
> acpi=1
> apic=0
> vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0, model=e1000, script=vif-bridge, type=ioemu,
> mac=00:16:3e:63:50:ee' ]
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vg/W2K8,hda,w', ',hdc:cdrom,r' ]
> on_poweroff = 'destroy'
> on_reboot   = 'restart'
> on_crash    = 'restart'
> boot="dc"
> sdl=0
> opengl=0
> vnc=1
> vnclisten="127.0.0.1"
> vncdisplay=3
> stdvga=1
> xen_platform_pci=0
>
> Yestarday I upgraded to Xen 4.3.2 (from 4.3.1-r4 gentoo ebuild) and
> Windows HVM machine can't boot. It hangs on startup showing only 1 vcpu
> used (see xl list):

Can you connect to VNC? What is one the screen at the time of the hang?

Anything in either the Xen or qemu logs?

> Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs    State   Time(s)
> Domain-0                                     0 16395    16     r-----
> 72463.8
> TS                                          16  8080     1     ------
> 3.2
>
> After commenting out maxvcpus and cpu_weight it boots fine.

If you just comment out one or the other what happens?

Are other guest types (non-Windows HVM, or PV) affected?

> I'm running on AMD Opteron 6274 cpus, so could it be related to
> CVE-2013-6885 / XSA-82?

I don't think so -- that was a "malicious guest can cause a DoS" type
issue, I assume your guest isn't malicious and in any case it was a host
not guest hang. (All AIUI)

The quickest path to resolve might be to bisect between 4.3.1 and 4.3.2.

Ian.