Re: [Xen-users] VGA passthrough with Xen 4.3 and xl toolstack - performance degradation resolved?

On 03/12/2014 05:51 PM, H. Sieger wrote:
I'm referring to secondary passthrough. What you are saying here is
quite a surprise to me. A number of people have reported successful VGA
passthrough using ATI cards, see Post your Passmark results of your
Windows VM <http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=153482>
and HOW-TO make dual-boot obsolete using XEN VGA passthrough
<http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=112013>. Since I wrote
the how-to more than a year and a half ago, with regular updates, I
never ever saw a user mention guest reboot/performance issues, nor did I
receive private notes on that.

I am at a loss to explain that. I first started working on putting together a few VGA passthrough systems about a year ago. Initially I tried with ATI cards with the xm stack and while getting it to work was relatively straightforward, it was always problematic when rebooting, requiring hacks such as ejecting the card, but in most cases I found what happened was that the card would get re-detected and reset before the shutdown which meant that it would again be in an unexpected state when the VM came back up resulting in either performance degradation, complete lack of initialization (VNC VGA only), or the whole host would just lock up solid.

I should note that only recently did I "upgrade" my how-to to use Linux
Mint 16 / Xen 4.3. I was holding on to Xen 4.1 because later releases
had the "error 22" bug with xm (and xl probably too), as well as the
reboot/reset issues discussed here.

I started on 4.1.3, IIRC, and then moved through 4.2 and finally 4.3, and I didn't really notice much difference in success rate with ATI VGA passthrough.

So far the only users of this how-to reporting failure to get VGA
passthrough working with AMD/ATI cards were running Windows 8.1 as domU.

I run XP64, but I did try Windows 7 a few times just to be sure, and that had similar issues.

Of course it's possible that users who managed to get VGA passthrough
working never reported back on performance/stability issues they may
have encountered later on, but this seems a little unlikely.

I don't reboot my VMs very often, but having to reboot the whole host when I need to reboot any of them is just too much of an inconvenience.

I'm not questioning your experience, but could there be possibly
something else involved?

If there is, I don't know what. I had a whole host of other issues that I had to work around as well, recently (a couple of months ago) I had a HD7970 in one of the VMs again for some testing, and rebooting the VM was still just as problematic.

Essentially what you are saying is that AMD/ATI cards don't work
reliable in VGA passthrough with Xen xm or xl and don't reset after domU
shutdown.

That is exactly what I'm saying.

Gordan