Re: [Xen-users] USB Controller Errors with Xen; Possibly APIC or ACPI Related?

On 3/16/2014 4:47 AM, H. Sieger wrote:

Thank you for your reply!
> I can't say much about your ACPI problem, but does look like the problem is
> there. For comparison, here is the output of xl dmesg on my machine:
>
> (XEN)  00000000ff000000 - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
> (XEN)  0000000100000000 - 0000000840000000 (usable)
> (XEN) ACPI: RSDP 000F0490, 0024 (r2 ALASKA)
> (XEN) ACPI: XSDT BC466078, 0064 (r1 ALASKA    A M I  1072009 AMI     10013)
> (XEN) ACPI: FACP BC470240, 010C (r5 ALASKA    A M I  1072009 AMI     10013)
> (XEN) ACPI: DSDT BC466170, A0C9 (r2 ALASKA    A M I       16 INTL 20051117)
> (XEN) ACPI: FACS BC759080, 0040
> (XEN) ACPI: APIC BC470350, 0100 (r3 ALASKA    A M I  1072009 AMI     10013)
> (XEN) ACPI: FPDT BC470450, 0044 (r1 ALASKA    A M I  1072009 AMI     10013)
> (XEN) ACPI: MCFG BC470498, 003C (r1 ALASKA OEMMCFG.  1072009 MSFT       97)
> (XEN) ACPI: HPET BC4704D8, 0038 (r1 ALASKA    A M I  1072009 AMI.        5)
> (XEN) ACPI: DMAR BC53D6C8, 00B4 (r1 A M I   OEMDMAR        1 INTL        1)
> (XEN) ACPI: SSDT BC470568, CD128 (r2  INTEL    CpuPm     4000 INTL 20051117)
> (XEN) ACPI: BGRT BC53D690, 0038 (r0 ALASKA    A M I  1072009 AMI     10013)
> (XEN) System RAM: 32707MB (33492780kB)
> (XEN) Domain heap initialised

Yes, after I went back and looked through the logs on a couple other machines I
have running Xen I saw similar output to what you listed above.

> Why don't you use Xen 4.1.2 or Xen 4.1.3 with xm? Ubuntu 12.04 should ship
> with
> Xen 4.1.3 (when I used that, I downgraded to 4.1.2 due to a "error 22" issue).
> You could try xl toolstack as well, but in my opinion it was still a little
> flaky with Xen 4.1.3. If you need a newer Xen version and kernel, try perhaps
> kernel 3.11 with Xen 4.3.0.

For my purposes I need the xl toolstack, which as you noted is flaky in the 4.1
versions, and so I started out with Xen 4.2.1 and the 3.2 kernel on this
machine. That's what I have running on some others and I knew it "should" work.
 When I encountered this ACPI/USB issue I started upgrading my Xen and Kernel
versions to see if this issue had been something addressed in the newer
versions, but the same errors occurred with various combinations of Xen 4.3,
4.4, and 4.5 unstable with appropriate kernels.

> Another difference I found in your log is this:
> (XEN) Disc information:
> (XEN)  Found 0 MBR signatures
> (XEN)  Found 0 EDD information structures
>
> Here is the output from my machine:
> (XEN) Disc information:
> (XEN)  Found 6 MBR signatures
> (XEN)  Found 6 EDD information structures
>
> Is this because you are using UEFI ? If yes, try without UEFI - that is
> regular
> (legacy) boot using an MBR (you'll have to make some change in your BIOS
> settings - hope that your BIOS supports that - and reinstall your boot loader,
> perhaps even do a new install from scratch). UEFI is still a new concept in
> the
> Linux/Xen world, add to that secure boot and you can get into a real mess.
> It's
> best to avoid it.

The BIOS on this machine does support a "legacy" non-UEFI mode and I can disable
secure boot, but during my initial install I was unable to get the machine to
boot from an MBR partition with the legacy mode turned on; kept getting various
"no boot device found" errors.  After some frustration with that I eventually
let Ubunutu do a fully automatic install (I had been trying to do some custom
partitioning) and it detected and set up the appropriate UEFI partition and the
computer would boot normally.  However I'm doubtful that this set up is related
to the ACPI issue I'm seeing, though I may give this a shot again anyway if
there aren't any other ideas as the machine is nearly useless for its intended
purpose at this point.

> Good luck!

Thanks again for your reply and time!  If you or anyone else has any other ideas
I'm glad to hear them.

- Joshua