Re: [Xen-users] Naming NICs in PV guest

Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I have a Debian Wheezy PV guest, running on a Debian Wheezy host with
>> Xen 4.0.1 and XM tools. On my physical boxes I can rename NICs by
>> changing entries in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, but on
>> my guests this file doesn't get populated (it exists, but just has a
>> header).
>>
>> Am I missing something simple here ?
>
> You can just put your own rules in there, or any
> other /e/u/r.d/XX-foo.rules, I think. You can use the stuff on your
> physical box as a template.
>
> I think the reason the automatic generation of persistent-net rules
> skips vifs is that if you don't specify a mac address in your config
> then you get a random mac each time, which means on rebooting you get
> eth0->eth1->eth2 etc which is pretty ugly.

Yep, that makes sense. I've stuck some rules in and it "just works" and I now
have "user friendly" NIC names :)

I use manual MAC addresses anyway as otherwise I have to update Nagios any time
something reboots - I monitor MAC-IP mappings so I can easily detect something
untoward on the networks (like two devices with the same IP !) Mind you, it's
fun if I clone a guest and forget to update the MACs :(

Thanks