Re: [Xen-users] ucode=-1: did anybody have success?

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 09:03:42PM +0200, Atom2 wrote:
> Sorry for my delay - I was away for a couple of days ...
>
> Am 06.05.14 23:35, schrieb Sven Köhler:
> >>The truth is that you can't use the microcode.dat file directly - this
> >>is a text file whereas the CPU expects a binary file.
> >
> >It's a pity the hypervisor doesn't understand the microcode.dat format.
> >
> >>You should be able
> >>to do 'cat /lib/firmware/intel_ucode/* > /boot/microcode.blob'
> >>and that should do it - although I have used another approach that
> >>results in a much smaller blob file: My file is now onyl 10,240 bytes as
> >>opposed to 576,512 bytes compared to cat /lib/firmware/... as described
> >>above) as it only contains the required binary files for my specific CPU:
> >
> >The "cat /lib/firmware/intel_ucode/* > /boot/microcode.blob"-approach
> >seems dangerous to me. Are you sure, that simply concatenating the files
> >leaves you with a valid database?
> I assume you have already read the answer straight from the horse's mouth:
> According to Konrad this is safe and I fully trust him on this (and many
> more things XEN).

I wouldn't call myself the horse (:-)) but there is a redundancy in there.

Each of those files has its own header which the microcode code can parse
to figure out for which family/model it applies to. Also the CPU does
its own checking to make sure that the binary blob is indeed for the
right CPU.

> >I think it's safer to use the iucode-tool. The following command simply
> >converts microcode.dat to the binary format, right?
> >
> >   ./iucode_tool -w /boot/microcode.blob /lib/firmware/microcode.dat
> Right. The -w defines the name of the output file and failing any other
> option iucode_tool will merge all binary files described in microcode.dat
> into a binary blob file (named microcode.blob).

Yes you can do that too. I was just thinking in terms of the easiest path.