Re: [Xen-users] Cross-compiling tool stack for ARM

On Tue, 2014-05-27 at 15:56 +0100, Jeenu Viswambharan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Xen but am comfortable with ARM virtualization. I'm trying to
> build a system running Xen on Vexpress TC2 board, with a single guest.
>
> From what I've learned so far, I should build u-boot, Xen, Dom0 guest,
> Xen tool stack, and a DomU guest to get there. I've followed Wiki pages
> [1][2] to built u-boot and Xen.

I take it you haven't seen
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/CrossCompiling
which goes into some detail about cross compiling the tools?

> I'm now trying to cross-compile Xen tool stack. Presumably, once they're
> built, I should insert them in Dom0 guest's file system.
>
> The wiki pages [1] didn't instruct to run 'configure' to build Xen, but
> it appears that 'configure' must be executed to build tools.

Correct, the instructions in [1] are about building the hypervisor
binary ("kernel") itself, not the tools. I shall clarify that.

> The tool chain that I'm using is from Linaro, and I verified that it
> doesn't come with any '.pc' files. Could you suggest a way to proceed
> with the compilation?

As well as a toolchain you will also need a cross compile environment
with all of the appropriate library's development headers, which should
include the .pc files. The link above covers setting up a suitable
Ubuntu cross environment.

Ian.